Design Researcher Portland, OR
Ziba, a multi-disciplinary design and innovation firm, is growing and seeking a Design Researcher who thrives on leading world-class research efforts to inform and inspire design that makes a difference in people’s lives. Through understanding people and trends, and weaving together powerful and well-reasoned stories, you will be part of creating great user experiences with a team of awesome collaborators while strengthening our client’s brands.
- Lead qualitative research and strategy programs in a range of industries on front-end innovation, service design, digital experiences, and branding projects.
- Plan, conduct, and analyze primary, secondary, competitor, and trends research to distill actionable insights and compelling frameworks that inspire new opportunities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define insights and opportunities.
- Create a compelling vision for clients that guides the transformation of new offerings
- Lead client and internal workshops.
- Serve as knowledge keeper and user champion, delivering their stories to clients and teammates throughout the project cycle.
- Deliver verbal and written presentations that build the conviction and confidence necessary for clients to take bold ‘calculated’ risks.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary designers in bringing opportunities to life through concept exploration and refinement.
- Contribute to proposal scoping and pitching new work.
- Mentor junior researchers and share expertise with internal and client teams.
- Grow and evolve your capabilities while tackling a wide range of client problems.
- An experienced design researcher with 3-5 years of professional experience conducting ethnography and design strategy work in a creative environment (agency or design consultancy experience is a plus).
- Fluent in qualitative research and analysis methods such as ethnography, participatory stimuli, journey mapping, persona creation, etc.
- Experience in leading complex qualitative studies from start to finish including recruiting, planning and contextual research to analysis and strategy creation.
- Ability to translate qualitative, quantitative, and secondary research into actionable insights and opportunities with strong user experience and business implications.
- Understand how to inform and inspire product, interaction, brand, and experience designers through actionable insights.
- Experience in developing qualitative and tools and approaches for design research.
- A master of communication with words, visuals, frameworks, and stories to ensure that your key insights are relevant and actionable for our clients and designers.
- A leader by example, a coach by nature and comfortable working directly with clients
- A bachelor’s or secondary degree in a social science or design discipline.
- Experience with digital/remote ethnography platforms, online survey tools, and other rapid insight platforms.
- Some experience with quantitative methods and platforms is a plus.
What to send us:
- Your résumé and a link to your portfolio (if available).
- A brief introduction letter listing one or two of your preferred research methodologies and why you love them.
What we offer:
- Medical, dental, vision, HSA, and life insurance benefits are standard
- Flexible work schedule
- Unlimited FTO policy, plus a generous holiday policy (6 paid holidays + the week between December 25th - January 1st off)
- 401k matching
- Incentive plan for profit sharing
- Family leave plan
Our innovative and effective employee initiatives have earned recognition with the prestigious When Work Works Award. Read more here.
Interested? Reach out! We always love to connect: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ziba Design is an equal opportunity employer and eagerly awaiting BIPOC applications.