DESIGN INSIGHTS + TRENDS STRATEGIST
32 years ago Ziba was one of the first global design consultancies to use research to create great design. Since then, the world has changed… design research and trends has become nimbler and more creative. It now takes many guises, across many sectors.
The Design Insights + Trends team at Ziba is no longer pinned down by archaic processes or uniform presentation decks. We want to create. We work in Design. For that reason, we are on the hunt for a talented strategist who is looking to join a team who want to challenge the status quo, and create research and trends that can valuably inform and inspire brilliant design.
What we are looking for:
- Someone with 5-8 years experience in design research and trends
- Someone who possesses a strong passion for field research, data analysis and insights translation, as well as a good cultural awareness and interest in the design fields
- Design skills and visual competency are essential
- You will be responsible for leading and developing Ziba's research capabilities
- Planning and conducting complex immersion, research and validation activities
- Managing close alignment and integration with the design process
- Leading synthesis of research results into compelling insights and strategic drivers
Business development – In addition to supporting overall design opportunities, this role will responsible for the creation of a business capability that will be marketed in its own right. On a day-to-day basis, you will be collaborating with our integrated team of designers as well as project managers.
Org structure – You will be reporting to the directors of the ID and UI departments. In addition, you will be a key client interface, collaborating in shaping the underlying approach and framework to effectively inform our on-going design projects as much as producing and presenting well- executed deliverables.
Travel – Insights and Trends research often happens on-location, both domestically and internationally. Recent ‘immersion’ and ethnographic destinations include New York, LA, San Francisco and Memphis as well as Berlin, London, Mexico City, Shanghai and Tokyo. You’ll also get to know Ziba’s home city of Portland, OR intimately.
Articles/Perspectives – Driven by non-stop primary and secondary research, DIT supports Ziba’s public thought leadership with articles, videos, events and more.
‘Curator of interesting bits’ – Design research means being professionally curious; you’ll be called on to share what you learn via Ziba’s gallery, trend walls, and other internal enrichments. The person we hire needs to show awareness and proactive curiosity across all aspects of the ‘design world.’
Do you have a blog? Show us!
Experience required (in order of priority):
- User insight synthesis
- Passion for curating design trends and articles to inform design projects
- Ethnographic research
- Trend reporting (social, eco, technology etc…)
- Articulation of complex research data into clearly articulated opportunity spaces, frameworks, strategic drivers
- Detailed concept validation
- Workshop experience, including leading co-creation sessions with clients
- On-going client liaison, collaborative planning, interim updates and presentation
- Delivery of final results and conclusions
- Client-facing presentation of results at executive level
- Lead and mentor the team tasked to deliver insight-driven strategy
- Create innovative and compelling presentation and deliverable formats
- Support business development activities
- Persona development
- Market analysis
- Comparative product/service analysis
- Premiere Pro/Final Cut Pro experience
- DSLR camera operating experience
- Adobe Creative Suite proficiency (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)
- Strong visual acuity and the ability to express complex subjects meaningfully
- Degree (or equivalent) in design strategy, design research or design, with preference for
- graduate-level degrees in industrial/interaction design and/or qualifications in
- social sciences (ie, anthropology, psychology, human factors)
- A minimum of five years’ experience conducting design strategy work within a product
- development context
- Proven communication skills
- Can demonstrate experience with project examples
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ziba Design is an EEO.